Thursday, January 22, 2009

SPEAR FISHING!!!!

So we have been back in school for 3 weeks now since Christmas break. Things are really going well. The first week back I suffered from strep throat which hurt like crazy but of course nothing I couldn't handle. We also had our 2nd of 4 parent teacher conferences which went MUCH better than the first ones. Nothing real drastic happened other than I had strep so I couldn't really talk clearly. Oh well...:-D

The second week I found out that one of my students who was failing every subject (literally) due to not applying herself would not be returning for the rest of the year. I was incredibly sad not only because no one had told me until a week after her being absent that she wasn't coming back but also because she is one of my kids and I just felt like I was losing a child. It is still a really tender subject because I feel like I should have done more and it kind of feels like I failed in a sense. Even though I know I did my best it still hurts. I know God will carry me and her through this. She definitely tested my patience in every way and I feel so much stronger for it but I just wish I knew how to handle her in a way in which she could stay. God knows what He is doing and I will not let my emotions get in the way. I will just continue to do His work and lead these other precious children closer to Him.

This past week has been great. Last weekend the pastor of a local church decided to take me and Ale under his wing and take us to the places we have not been to...so we went spear fishing!! What an experience! We were out for about 2 hours. We went out around 10:00PM because it is easier to spear fish at night when the fish are sleeping. Anyways, I caught 21 fish!! Ale and the pastor went out together and me and this Palauan guy named Francis went out. Of course we stayed away from each other as to not spear each other. :-D In one hand we had our dive light and in the other was the spear. At first Francis would point out one to me and I would come and shoot it but after awhile I started to get the hang of it and would find my own fish and then hand it to him when I got it. haha. It was so much fun! Though I was terrified of sharks and salt water crocs (yes we have tons of those) coming to eat me in the complete darkness of the waters, I overcame and was able to have great fun. I can't wait to do it again! The next day the pastor taught us how to gut the fish and scale it. So now when I get home I can cook homemade fresh fish for you! :-D Also, with one of the bigger ones I caught we made sashimi (raw fish) and ate it! DELICIOUS!! I can't wait to introduce you all to this amazing cuisine.

Anyways, it has been quite eventful for the past few weeks. Oh and today my class and I "made snow" as a science experiment. It was so cute. They were so excited to see snow. Of course it didn't feel like real snow but they didn't really know the difference. They were so happy to take it home and show their parents. What a blessing these kids and their genuine excitement and happiness is to me. Pictures of all this are posted as well.

Hope this finds you all well. I look forward to sharing many more experiences with you. Unitl next time...:-D

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi ash,
sam here from sam's tours and i find your blog very interesting. i am in germany right now so lots of snow here. take care, sam

Ashley said...

Hey Sam!
Thanks for reading my blog and so nice to hear from you. My family likes to here about the cool things that happen here in Palau. Hope Germany and the real snow is treating you well. :-D Blessings, Ashley

Danger Jones said...

Hey there darling! I hope you feel better. Spear fishing sounds awesome! Get 'em killer!

Oh and never, ever, are you going to get me to eat raw fish. Lol.

I love you!